Friday, May 25, 2012

Paint Party Friday: Week 11, Year 2 Check In Featured Artist: Kristin Van Valkenburgh

image courtesy of Kristin Van Valkenburgh

Welcome to Week 11 of Paint Party Friday (Year 2) and to the next edition of our Featured Artist Series! (Would you like to be a PPF Featured Artist? Please click here for details!) Our featured artist this week creates colorful paintings with whimsical beauties and is planning on providing a summer filled with delicious inspiration. Please welcome Kristin Van Valkenburgh of Twinkle, Twinkle!



1) Please tell us a bit about your personal history with painting. (When did you start painting? How has your painting evolved since you first started?) 
I started “painting” in a rather fabulous and undeniably girly way: as a Makeup Artist. Way before Mommyhood, I mixed lipsticks, shimmers and creams on the back of my hand, working my way up the arm until my “palette” would encroach upon my elbow. . . I would apply color, step back, scrutinize my work, and repeat . . .  apply, step back, scrutinize, apply, step back, scrutinize until, well, my “picture” was complete. And every once in a while, someone would graciously say that I looked just like an Artist. To which I would smile and sigh under my breath, “I wish.” Cut to ten years, a blog and several online classes later, and I’m now swapping foundations with acrylics and glosses with glitter. All in an effort to basically do the same thing I started years ago: to make people - women in particular - feel good about themselves.

2) What are your favorite techniques, media, and tools to use in creating your paintings?
I had been collaging for a while - mixing bits of paper and ephemera with smudges of paint and charcoal - before I found the school of Tam (otherwise known as Willowing.ning.com) and something in me knew I was home. It all came together then - the face painting with the “real” painting - and I’ve never looked back. As a student of Tam’s, I’m most comfortable with acrylics and watercolor crayons, but I also love bold, heavy acrylics, wax pastels, wax crayons and bright color. Oh, and almost every piece I do in some way incorporates Swarovski crystals, shimmer or shine. After all, to quote my 6-year-old, “every girl needs a little glitter now and then.”



image courtesy of Kristin Van Valkenburgh

3) What is your favorite thing to paint? Why?
I love to paint whimsical women and vintage-inspired little girls. I’m an adoptive parent and as such, my message tends to be about adoption, Motherhood and Mothering. A combination of collage and painting is where I’m most comfortable and it is my goal to express gratitude, hope and love in everything I create.

4) What is your proudest painting moment and/or greatest painting achievement so far?
I’m lucky to have had some of my work published, but I must say that my proudest moment just occurred, when a collage / painting I submitted was selected for the current issue (May/June 2012) of Somerset Studio. It just so happened to feature our daughter Kendra’s little body (and a clip art head, something she was not pleased with) and to see her excitement about being in a magazine was simply the best. She bragged and I smiled, knowing that nothing beats her beaming and this Mama Moment!



image courtesy of Kristin Van Valkenburgh

5) What's next in your painting future?  
I’m going to continue to put myself “out there” and see where this whole arty adventure take me. For the moment, I’m thrilled to be the happy host of The Summer of Color 2: Ice Cream Inspirations, a FREE 6-week event celebrating art in all it’s hues. Think of it as a blog block party centered around all the bold and luscious colors of our favorite ice cream flavors. The event will feature weekly color prompts, blog hops and giveaways. To learn all about it (it’d be so sweet if you’d join us!) please check out my blog, our Facebook page or Flickr group.


Thank you Kristin - The Summer of Color 2 sounds like lots of fun! To see more of Kristin's artwork and find out more about her summer party, please visit her at:

My blog:
Summer of Color info:
Summer of Color on Facebook:
Summer of Color on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/thesummerofcolor/pool/

NOW IT'S YOUR TURN...
WE WANT YOU TO SUBMIT YOUR STORY!

**Would you like to be a PPF Featured Artist? Click here for details!**

Another fun party last week! Now, here is our check-in for this week's party:

Please make sure to use your post URL address NOT your blog home page URL address as there are many late visitors who get confused as to which post is for PPF when they arrive (after Friday) at your website. If you are unfamiliar with Mr. Linky, an explanation of how this tool works can be found on Week 1 and Week 2Check-Ins.

35 comments:

  1. oh what a great interview!!! love Kristin and her work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kristin and Eva! I so appreciate you both! Kristin xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview, Kristin!
    Congratulations on being featured in Sommerset Stusio!
    Looking forward to your Icecream inspirations this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Twinkle Twinkle and her art:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. so lovely to learn more about Kristen and her beautiful art!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun artist! Thanks for the party.
    rinda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on being in Sommerset Studio magazine.Fun interview. I love hearing about how a person began doing what they do.. Happy PPF.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yaaaaaaaay for kristin...her work is so happy and i have loved watching her develop her style....i feel like a proud mama...heeheehee...thankyu again kristin and eva for this awesome party...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristen,I love your artwork and I'd like to participate in summer of color 2!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I discovered Kristin recently but already love her works! And this year I will join the Summer of Color!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations Kristin on your publications woo hoo.
    Terrific interview and am looking forward to taking part again in the Summer of Colour.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another fabulous artist showcased here today. I find all this talent so very amazing! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahhhh I have loved Kristin's work for a long time, so bright and beautiful lovely interview!!! :0)....have been missing from blogland for a few weeks so I'm looking forward to catching up with you all x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had a big smile when I saw it was Kristin this week - I've been a fan for ages and will certainly be joining on another summer of colour (I keep telling you North Americans that you spell it wrong, but you never listen!).

    No art from me this week. This house has been struck by bugs all week, so I've been working (day job) all day, then going to bed at 8 every night. No time for play ... very sad!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Paint Party Love to everyone! Thanks Kristin and Eva for this wonderful place to share inspiring art!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. nice to learn more about the talented Kristin!

    ReplyDelete
  17. wonderful interview - beautiful art!
    cheers, dana

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excellent interview ~ thanks for hosting ~ have a wonderful weekend ~ thanks, namaste ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful work, Kristin! Thank you for the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Big Congrats on being published! Great reading the interview and pleased to be hooking up for another PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy PPF! Great to read this lovely interview! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful art Kristin.. love the interview :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kudos to you! Your art is very sweet. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fabulous!!!! xoxo
    Happy PPF everyone!
    xoxo
    www.fussitup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy PPF! Great work Kristin, congrats on being published! So exciting!

    ♥Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy PPF! Thank you for hosting again. Congratulations and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello to you both, here's wishing you both a great week-end and so happy and grateful to you for Paint Party Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful Interview. I'll be sure to visit Kristin's blog when I leave here.

    I'm also adding my blog to the Paint Party Friday linky for the first time today. I hope that's OK? Thanks for hosting the party! Looking forward to meeting some new artists with all the participants that have linked up.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great interview, as always. Kristen's artwork is always so uplifting!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great interview, it made me tear up!! So glad she found her creative way!! I could relate!! Excited for her being published and how happy it made her daughter!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey Eva and Kristin - I enjoy your interviews. Very touching. Such talented artists come to PPF. So have a happy memorial day weekend you too

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am linking again. It is nice to have reactions from artists all over the world. Have a nice Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  33. That's a nice, glittery interview... It struck a chord when you said about the crystals coz in many paintings of mine, I have done that too with svaroski crystals!
    Nice interview Eva and Kristin:)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi, Im always the last on... but I have been so busy now when the school is almost finished, one more week with my students and then 9 weeks of summertime.
    Kristin, I love your interview and I love that doodling eye.
    Happy paint party "week"... Ill try not to be so late next week..

    ReplyDelete