Friday, September 14, 2012

Paint Party Friday: Week 27, Year 2 Check In Featured Artist: Lynn Cohen


image courtesy of Lynn Cohen

Welcome to Week 27 of Paint Party Friday (Year 2) and to the next edition of our Featured Artist Series! (Would you like to be a PPF Featured Artist? Please click here for details!) This week's featured artist inspires us with her amazingly fearless and adventurous spirit that shines through in her drawings and paintings. Please welcome Lynn Cohen!

1. Please tell us a bit about your personal history with painting. (When did you start painting? How has your painting evolved since you first started?) I started drawing a few years ago after taking a one day class at the community college called: “For people who think they can’t draw” (or paint) actually the painting class came after the drawing class. But I was surprised and amazed that I liked some of what I did in those two all day classes. Then I later took a four hour workshop from a local artist here in town. In that class we did drawings outdoors of buildings in our downtown area. I remember being amazed at how good they looked, when after painting them back in the studio, the teacher framed them with a mat. Those were done using cheap acrylics from Michael’s, our local craft store.

2.What are your favorite techniques, media, and tools to use in creating your paintings? I like ink pens and watercolor paints. I use fine point Sharpies, Castell-Faber PITT Artist pens, and ZIGs. I like XS, S and M sized pen points. My watercolor kit is flat paints (Talens) I got at a garage sale for $2. My paint colors did not come with fancy names I could not pronounce. I looked them up on line and they retail for $40. They serve me just fine. I use Canson drawing art journals with 90 lb- 130 lb paper. Yes, it curls a bit when wet from paint. My latest art journal has thin brown paper. I like trying new things. I do not use pencil first and I do not erase. It’s just my personal preference.


"One Guy, Two Poses", image courtesy of Lynn Cohen

3. What is your favorite thing to paint? Why? I heard about a plein air art contest in a town about an hour’s drive from my house. I decided to enter the contest. Since I really had never done plein air painting before I had to get past a lot of fear first. I started practicing in our down town area. I bought a fold up camping chair with a fold out tray and took it, my sun hat, water-bottle and art supplies and sat outside and started painting. My two favorite paintings from that foray are two Victorian houses. I used a lot of mask to make the bricks of one of the houses. I went on to paint several other historic buildings in our downtown area.

"Red Brick Vic", image courtesy of Lynn Cohen
 
I really pushed through the fear by going to that other town and joining many accomplished artists in that contest. I did not win any ribbons, but I won self respect and new courage to draw in public.

Right now I am enjoying drawing/sketching people in restaurants when I go out to eat. I started doing this in November 2011. I particularly like a Mexican restaurant near my office where I go for lunch once or twice a week called Taco Jalisco’s. I have become friendly with the owner’s son, who happens to be an artist and who has his paintings hanging on the walls in this family run business. He saw me drawing there and told me about a guy who used to come in and draw. That guy self-published his book of drawings (nothing like mine), which gave me the idea to draw there for a year after which time I intend to self-publish a book of my drawings of the people who come and eat there. (Projected date is Dec. 2012.)


"The Couple", image courtesy of Lynn Cohen
 
I sit at the table. I take out my drawing journal and pen. I draw the people at the next table or two or three tables away from me. I try to capture the mood, body postures, expressions, but I don’t think much about what I am doing, I just do it. I am definitely “in the zone”. I have a finite amount of time to finish a drawing and they can be done in 20 minutes. If I stay a full hour I’ll usually have finished two pages in my art journal. I’m fast. I use pen directly and do not erase. I eat a few bites while drawing. Sometimes the food gets on the page. It adds to the texture, mood. I also write on my pages to tell the story of what I am seeing or at least to note where I am and when it is done.
 

"Salsa Dances", image courtesy of Lynn Cohen
 
I do the painting later at home. The more I do this the more comfortable I become doing it. Very few people have even noticed what I am doing. Fewer have come up to me to talk about it. I feel pretty invisible.

I also draw at the downtown bakery where I go for lattés and cookies and sometimes lunch. The town square, other restaurants in town, the farmer’s market, the city park, waiting rooms, waiting in line for gas all have been spots I’ve chosen to draw. I take my art journal everywhere I go, as anywhere can be a drawing opportunity.

So for now people in these settings are my favorite thing to draw…and they are definitely sketches that may or may not actually resemble the people I am drawing. I think they have a cartoon quality to them.

The people are wonderful models because they sit fairly still while they are eating and talking. And I have the accoutrements on the tables down well too: basket of chips, salt and pepper shakers, napkin containers, glasses and straws.

"Class of 2011", image courtesy of Lynn Cohen

4. What is your proudest painting moment and/or greatest painting achievement so far? I really got excited when a watercolor and ink painting from a photo I took of four girls walking in front of me was accepted into a juried art show at our local art gallery. It won second place. The teacher who had taught that 4 hour workshop won first place! I was starting to think I could draw and paint. This has been my proudest painting moment to date. (It also won 2nd place at the Dixon May Fair 2011)


image courtesy of Lynn Cohen

5. What's next in your painting future? Like I said, my next painting venture will be the book(s) I produce from my weekly drawing/paintings at the various restaurants. In the meantime, I also draw nearly daily the things around my house, office and anywhere else I happen to be. It’s become a true passion!

I make trip journals when we travel. It’s a great way to save the memories of what I experience and a fun way to pass the time especially when we take long road trips across the country as we are want to do. Some of these can be seen on my blog. (July 12, 2012 post and a few before and after that one are from our most recent trip).

I have enjoyed seeing my progress over the past year or two and am excited to watch it grow as more time goes by. You can see what I drew in 2011 and some of what I have drawn in 2012 on slide shows on the sidebar of my blog.

I encourage people of all ages to pick up a pencil or pen and start to draw. Like I said in the beginning I did not know I could do it. I just knew I was getting old(er) (now at age 71) and wanted something more to fill my life and this was my venture. The more I do the better it gets and the opportunities are endless. I think of myself as a Grandma Moses, who also started her art career late in life. I am Grandma Lynn. And I am ARTIST! Hear me roar!

My blogs:
http://lynn-nonameblog.blogspot.com Getting My Feet Wet
http://artquiltsbylynn.blogspot.com

Thank you, "Grandma Lynn" - Wonderful what has developed from that initial class! We look forward to hearing more about your upcoming book!

***

NOW IT'S YOUR TURN...
WE WANT YOU TO SUBMIT YOUR STORY!

**Would you like to be a PPF Featured Artist? Click here for details!**

Another wonderful and creative party last week!

By the way, several of you have again mentioned how much they would like to reply directly to your comments on their blogs, but Blogger's default setting is "noreply-comment@blogger.com".  Jenn of "Just add Water, Silly" has a great explanation on getting replies so you are not a "no-reply blogger". (Dashboard - Edit Profile - check "show my email address" and enter it - SAVE profile.) We changed our settings when  we first realized the issue and it is great to hear back from someone who has appreciated your comment. If you are uncomfortable with sharing your personal email address then email us (link on sidebar) and we can send you an invitation to get a gmail account which you can forward to another address.

Now, here is our check-in for this week's party:

As always, please make sure to use your post URL address NOT your blog home page URL address as there are many late visitors who get confused as to which post is for PPF when they arrive (after Friday) at your website. If you are unfamiliar with Mr. Linky, an explanation of how this tool works can be found on Week 1 and Week 2 Check-Ins.

Have a fabulously creative week everyone!

63 comments:

  1. There is always so much movement in your drawings, so much fun :o)
    And I was almost exp0ecting to see the sign for PPF based on the restaurant!! :oD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ayala, that would have been a good idea, sorry I did not think of it. These dancing ladies popped out on the page instead! Maybe they'll go eat at J's after the party here!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful interview with Lynn!!
    Her watercolor narratives are lovely, always so full of movement and color and rhythm!!

    Many thanks for hosting PPF again, Eva and Kristin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything you do. I look forward every week to your art (it's people and places). It's always so fun and sometimes funny. Many Blessings, and congrats for the Artist of the Week, Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet your words mean so much. Huge thanks, and so glad you like it!

      Delete
  4. Great interview Lynn. You left off the part on joining in an on line drawing a day group, for the month of October, about six years or so ago where I met you. You said you can't draw but can I join? Now look at you. You've come a long way since then. You were actually doing Art quilts which you had started not long before that. I love seeing your growth. I also love having a print of that drawing/painting of the Girls walking up the street. Keep up the fantastic work. Look forward to your Book too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did forget about that early attempt at drawing Cris. thanks for the reminder. Lynn

      Delete
  5. What a great interview! Lynn is really an inspiration! I always enjoy her lively sketches -- so full of character. A book would be a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, thank you for saying I'm an inspiration. that book is my next endeavor!

      Delete
  6. Happy PPF ! Ill be visiting as many people as I can this week !
    -KAT-

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't realise about the no reply thing - I always just responded to any comments left on my blog at the same time as I leave a reply on that person's blog? Does this mean if I reply to a comment on my blog that the person will get notified of it as otherwise they'd have to re-visit the blog to see if I'd replied (does that make sense?) anyway, I digress - it's lovely to see Lynn being interviewed - I enjoy the visual storybook she creates each week illustrating wonderful glimpses into the goings on in her town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always wondered how this works too. Let's see. Let me know if you had to come back here to see this or if you were notified that it was here! (Lynn)
      thanks for your comments, glad you enjoyed the interview about my art! ;-)

      Delete
    2. I am writing a reply to my reply to see how this works.

      Delete
  8. Fantastic interview, really inspirational, loved it! I love Lynn's art and talent, it's so honest and original and I admire her courage. Drawing of girls is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love 'red brick vic' it looks alive and vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice to see Lynn here today, she makes wonderful stuff, and I especially love her 'comics' - she has a great talent for catching the people in everyday situations.Happy PPF! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah Lynn how great to see you as the featured artist this week, fab! You're doing so well, and your book idea is great, best of wishes for that. I love your sketches and your PPF painting is such fun! Wonderful to come here and read your interview!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I visited your blog and left a comment there. i love your sketches and your sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I know Lynn of previous PPF editions, and I think esupenda knows captar magnificamente time. Greetings to all after so long.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lynn always manages to capture 'the moment' in these restaurants, makes the viewer feel they are there too. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful work, Lynn work tells wonderful stories.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is lovely to meet Lynn and for her terrific sketches to be acknowledged in this way. Loving her wonderful travelling sketches, always so full of life.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love Lynns works, not only is she a great artist, she is such a nice person too!! I loved reading about her beginnings! So glad she was featured, it answered a few of the questions I've had about her!!

    I wrote a little thing on my blog about returning emails this week too, without knowing you'd address it!! Thanks for that!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  18. I met Lynn 5 years ago when I started blogging and she started making wonderful quilts (she has many talents). I commissioned her to make me a quilt for my 60th birthday and it has become a family heirloom. I now own two of her quilts. When I met her- she stated emphatically that she could'nt draw at all- now look at her!! Lynn I am so very proud of all your progress, your achievements and your successes. Mostly, I value your wonderful friendship and praise of all my art.

    ReplyDelete
  19. And thanks to Eva and Kristin and of course a very Happy PPF to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for this interview with Lynn, she is such a great artist. I´m always waiting to see what she will show us next fryday. Love her drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lynn's work is so wonderful! I always enjoy her fresh personal approach.
    Happy Painting Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yeah, Lynn! I am so happy that you are the featured artist. Your approach is refreshing and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Each Friday Lynn cracks me up - I love that she just goes to her places and sketches - wuold love to hang with her for a day of this! The four girls - awesome! and I have already told her I want her book!
    cheers, dana

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely interview with Lynn, I'm a follower of this talented lady!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Excellent interview Lynn and congrats on all your Wins ~ you deserve them ~

    Thanks for hosting and great interviews every week ~ Happy Weekend to you!
    (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Loved hearing about Lynn. She has such a fresh approach -- I always feel like she just captures the essence of whatever she's painting. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lynn, this is so motivating for me. I love your sketches and I love even more hearing how it all came about for you. Thanks for the poke! And congratulations on your achievements.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nice to meet you Lynn! Your work is great! Congrats on winning that award for your art!

    Happy PPF!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. OH MY GOSH Lynn, I'm one of your biggest fans. I LOVE your work. So excited that your the featured artist. Hooray! Happy PPF xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous and fabulous work as always Lynn..I so enjoyed reading more about you..shine on! Fantastic work!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lynn's work is outstanding! I've always wanted to be able to do that kind of urban sketching, but my pen can never manage to do it -- so I'll just be happy and content looking at her fantastic drawings. What an inspiring story! xo, AImee

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lynn's work is awesome! I especially love Rec Brick Vic!It's great to be back, I missed you all sooooo much! Deb

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for introducing me to Lynn's art. Fabulous blog.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Awesome! I love Lynn's work, and consider her one of my blogging friends. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Whew - I made it - a little stressed this week. I wasn't familiar with Lynn's work - she does wonderful drawings. Wonderful interview.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Enjoyed the article and the art.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Yay Lynn! Lynn is a gem of a person, just love her and she is soooo talented♥

    ReplyDelete
  38. Lynn is an inspiration.... and a great ARTIST! I loved reading this interview :)

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great interview, I am late been away on holiday, happy creating :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. lovely interview! and love the fab sketching :-)

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love Lynn's people - the houses are great as well, but the people are just terrific. There is a cartoon quality - but there is so much more than that. Great interview.

    ReplyDelete